Pages

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Long Time No Blog

I just realized that it has been just over a year since I've blogged and well a lot has changed. For one I'm going to keep up with writing here at least once a week covering my writing process, updates with TALI and all the wonders that go with trying to be a published author while working a full time job.

So what has 2012 brought with it so far? Well for Christmas I actually got the first part of my second novel, Mackenzie Falls, done and printed for friends and family. So far I've only heard back from my dad who finished the 117 pages in two days. I got the call with the, "You can't kill off your main character!". I had to laugh since he actually seemed to be really into a genre that he wouldn't normally pick up. Side note my book is more contemporary chic lit, where my dad only reads computer manuels and other techie things. Needless to say that my anxiety of having family read it and not be honest how they liked it was driving me crazy. Though Dad did give me some good notes on double checking some spelling that my spell check missed. *shakes fist at spell check not knowing modern slang and changing things up on me without noticing*

Any who's now I'm working on the second half of Mackenzie Falls so that I can send it out to literary agents in an attempt to take the next step to being a published author. Why not self publish you ask? Well I don't have the time or money to get it to the level I would like. Not to mention that I don't know that part of the industry as an agent does. Maybe I'll go that route if I can't find someone in a few years, but right now I'm going to go the so called traditional route.

So what happened to my first book that I had been writing back all those years ago when I started this blog? Well the Unnamed work, or as I call it Drew, for it's main character, is still waiting in the wings to be edited. It took Mackenzie Falls beating at my brain for attention for me to get enough distance to not end up over editing Drew to the point that I end up killing it. And well I've put so much time and effort into that first work, that I don't want it ending up in the trash forever. This year I'm going to go back and take the things that I've learned editing Mackenzie Falls and apply it to Drew.

What is that you ask? Well my editing process will have to be saved for another blog, since well it's more than just sitting down to clean up a few sentences here and there.

I still consider myself a newbie in the writing world. No matter how much I love it and get twitchy without picking up my notebook, I still got a long long way to go. Then again what author considers themselves perfect? None that I've met. We are always striving to become better writers, bringing people into a world that started in our heads. The more you write the better you get.

Which brings me to some of the best advices I've ever read from a full time author who had been asked from an aspriring author. When the author asked how much do you write and got the response, "Oh, I don't write yet, but I want to be an aouthor" I was taken aback just like the established author. So her response made perfect sense to not only that I dont write but I want to be a writer, but to all writiers. "If you want to be a writer you have to write every day. Not just when your muse inspires you. Let it be a sentice, a paragraph or a chapter. Sit down and put something down on paper. If you don't write. Then you aren't a writer. It's just a dream that will never become a reality." (this is all parafrased but you all get the point)

Sorry got off topic and on a little bit of a rant. Where was this going? Right 2012. Blog, writing. Starting today I will be updating this to give all an update on my writing status as an aspring write. Along with working with the great www.talimag.com an online magazine I work on with some amazing women I met in college promoting imbrasing your curves, 2012 is the year of Emily! Of making things happen. No more just talking about it, but making it happen for yourself. No one is going to hand you a published book that you don't put your blood sweat and tears into. And I sure as hell tend to make this happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment