Pages

Sunday, March 4, 2012

What's wrong with what I write?

For the last week I've been trying to think about what to blog when it just hit me.....you have been trying to define your self as a writer, write about that. Well here it goes. In the last few weeks I have been looking in to the RWA, Romance Writers of America for those that doesn't know what they are, is an association for those who are actively persuing a career in the Romance genre. It's a place to learn, network, market and support the Romance genre which happens to be one of the top selling and most prolific genres in the publishing world. When I found out that this years conference this suummer would be so close to me I started to ask my self, am I a romance writer? It took me a while to realize that yes I am. I bounce around in different subgenres of Romance but the main story line has to do with love and sex. There just happens to be a mystery, paranormal and other things going on at the time, but with out that connection between two characters I have a story that doesn't quite work right.

When I did the oh moment of just exactly what genre I write, I had the sudden overwhelming feeling of not shame but I guess imbarassment. That imbarassment didn't last long, cause no one should be ashamed of what they write. Everyone, woman and men, at one time or another they have read a romance novel, not to mention that it happens to be one of the highest grossing genres. Why should I be imbarass by the things that I write.

No matter what you writerly shouldn't be ashamed. You put so much time into the whole process of writing a novel that you should be proud of your work. If you love writing horror, then write it. If you love writing romance, erotica, literary fiction, womens lit, mystery then you should write it. The best way to become a better writer is to write the genres you love. The more you read the genre by other authors the better writer you become. The more knowledgeable you are of the genre you write the better you become as a writer.

So why imbrase your genres. Be proud of the work that you do. If you don't love what you write then why are you doing it? Yes there are times you have to work on something you don't always enjoy, like having to work a day job, in my case it's accounting, but after putting months, even years worth of work into a novel, so be proud of your work and the genres you write.

If some one you know says of 'of course you would write that or read that?' then with pride say, 'well yes I would and am! I enjoy what I do. Can you say the same thing in your life?' No matter what you do in your life, you should be proud of the work that you do. Don't ever let anyone take that pride away from you.

The only one who holds you back from where you want to be . So grab life by the... Well you know and enjoy what you are doing. Work shouldn't always be work. You should at least be enjoying what you do.


With that little speech being said, I'm going to use the last of my weekend to edit some more pages. Good writing and goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment