Pages

Monday, July 9, 2012

Count down to RWA12

On July 25-28 Romance writers, agents and publishers will be gathering together in Southern California for the annual Romance Writers of America conference, and for the first time ever I will will be joining in the fun. Yup that is right people I'm calling it fun. For the first time I will be surrounded by like minded people who I don't have to explain why I write or why I like writing romance or even reading it. I do so because I love it and there is so many things that can be done within the genre, not to mention that it is the highest grossing genre that is out there. Don't mock the romance. It's the most popular genre out there and you can't argue with numbers.

Any ways RWA12 is now about 16 days away and I'm buzzing with nervous excitement. As of last Friday I've made two agent appointments to pitch my novel Mackenzie Falls to, and now the real work has to happen. I've got ten minutes with each agent and in that time have to be able to summarize my book in a way that describes the characters and the basics of the story that leave the agent wanting to read some pages. Easy right? Not to me. I've spent over a year with these characters and I tend to want to go on and on and on about them. So, trying to get it into several sentences is a challenge. A challenge I'm more than willing to take on.

For this conference I'm not going in expecting to come out with an agent. While that would be amazing, things just don't happen that fast. I'm going into this conference as a learning experience and to meet people who are already established or pursuing writing in the publishing world. For the last year or so I've been doing my research and been sending out resumes as to find my niche in this industry. The more I learn the more I want to be involved in the agenting process; as well as continuing my own writing. With all the wonderful workshops that RWA is providing, I have so many wonderful choices of what to attend and learn for those who are actively doing what they are teaching. I'm not sure about you guys, but I'm more than excited to learn about this industry that has peaked my interest for the last several years.

Why has it taken me so long to realize that I want to be involved in publishing? No clue. I've always wanted to be apart of the entertainment industry, and it wasn't until my producing class that we dove in to literary rights that I really started to be come interested in how the two industries overlap. In the end wanting to help authors get their books made in to movies while not losing all their rights is what really got me into looking into agenting. Not to mention I love books!

Anyways, now that my little rant is over, I've got my work cut out for me before the conference starts. But in the end all things that are worth it in the end, is worth all the hard work and time that goes into it. I'll make sure to keep everyone posted on my adventures of RWA this month and in my search for the right agent, not just for me but for my work. AND that is worth taking the time for.

No comments:

Post a Comment