Pages

Saturday, October 27, 2012

NaNoWrMo

For those that don't know what NaNoWrMo is, it's National Novel Writing Month. Novel writing month? Isn't every month novel writing month for authors? Yes it is, but in the last few years this new craze has taken over where the month of November the masses gather to get a novel, 50,000 words, done. That means no editing just non-stop writing.

I've never participated in NaNo. Last year I was in the middle of typing up and editing Mackenzie Falls and didn't want to stop to start a new project. This year things are different.

In need of a desperate need of a break from Mackenzie Falls (also have a friend beta reading it for feedback from someone who doesn't know a lot about the story) and I'm revisiting my very first manuscript. Going through the pages with multicolored pens like a mad women I realized one thing. This draft sucks! Don't get me wrong every first draft is always bad, but with this being my first attempt ever at writing a novel. Mistakes were bound to be made.

And I made them. 

Now a little bit wiser and a little bit more experience under my belt, I'm now ready to retake on the task of a full rewrite.

With NaNo right around the corner I've been diligently rereading my little seed of a good idea piled in crap that is waiting to grow into a strong beautiful plant, reintroducing myself to the characters, the plot, the world I'd created. The second time round I know what to the faults are of the story and know that it will go better this time.

That all being said, I've still got a lot of work to do in prep for November 1 and the challenge of getting close to 2 thousand words each day. A challenge I'm willing to try.

For those who are going to try NaNo I wish you luck in your adventure into 50,000 words in a month.

No comments:

Post a Comment