Pages

Friday, November 2, 2012

November is here!

It's amazing just how fast time goes sometimes. November is here already leaving Halloween in its wake and the challenge of NaNoWriMo for writers around the world laying in front of us. Day 1 is past and I was able to just squeak past the goal of 2 thousand words a day. Day 2? Not so much. After a long day at work and getting home late the words are flowing as well as I had wished, but I'm getting something down and that's the main goal.

NaNo is definatley a challenge and one that I'm finding interesting so far. With the few (2) novels I've written so far and the several dozen summaries I've done have been in the first person point of view. In the full rewrite that I'm doing of my first novel I ever wrote for NaNo I found myself writing in 3rd person. This is a new adventure and I only hope that it turns out better than my original first draft. Great story idea, but all telling a very little showing.

Learned my lesson on with that and now I'm putting what I've spent the last year or so into place. I know I'm not the best writer in the world, but it's all about putting in the work and continuing to hone your craft and with the challenge of 50,000 words in 30 days and changing my preference of narration is going to be fun to see how it turns out.

Yes, I know how the story ends, but so far my characters are already evolving more than they have since the last time I'm spent any significant amount of time with them. They are becoming more distinct and individualized than I had thought they were. So, who knows where they will end up pushing the story.

Don't know about you guys, but I'm excited to see where they will end up taking me by the end of the month.

Here are a few tips that I've learned so far with NaNo:
1. Just write! Don't go back and self edit. Save that for December. Even if it's 1 word put it down on paper. You've already done more than those who have signed up but keep finding excuses to not put those words down on paper.
2. Set a timer. I find 30 min to 1 hour nonstop writing time works well for me. In that time close all internet windows, turn off all TVs and if need avoid being around people who might distract you. Most of all turn your phone OFF. Not distractions and spend that amount of time getting as many words down as possible.
3. It doesn't have to be perfect. First drafts are never perfect. Far from it in fact. There is a quote that I'm not sure where it's from that says "The real writing comes in the editing." You are laying the foundation of your story in your first draft. It's in the editing later on that you and really build and decorate your house of a story. Don't stress about getting it right. Just get something down first.
4. Don't worry what everyone else thinks about  your story or what you are trying to do. I've found that only other writers can really understand what we are doing. If you love your story and your characters then tell there story. It's not about what everyone else wants to hear, it's about what you want to tell us. If you're passionate about then they we will want to hear you talk about it and it will come across on the page.
5. Breathe. In the end if you don't reach those 2,000 word goal or the day or if it takes don't everyone the same amount of time to write the same number of words. Also others have more time or better focus or can type faster or whatever else you want to think of. Breathe! Know two people are the same. So do what you can and pat yourself on the back for being able to do what you can. There is no need to stress or beat yourself up if a road block pops up. Some times you have to stop. Other times you can smash through those roadblocks and are able to by pass your goals like they were the easiest thing on earth. Don't stress, and breathe.

Well I still have some time to try to get some words done for the day, but I'm exhausted. I'm thinking that a goodnight sleep is needed and can start the day off fresh and knock out the remainder of today's word count along with tomorrows as well.

Good luck in NaNoWriMo everyone! And keep writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment