Pages

Saturday, December 8, 2012

Fight Scenes

You would be amazed just how many fight scenes end up in Romance Novels yet not all of them are as well written as the rest of the novel. When I went to the RWA conference this past summer I had attended a self defense class to help write fight scenes and practically every woman in there cringed at the thought of watching fighting. Yet they will end up having a fight scene in one way or another in a book. Yet, how is it possible to write an accurate scene if you don't know how the attacker and the victim might feel or react.

So, here I am doing my research (and watching for fun) a UFC fight and am so amazed by these fighters. They have so much heart and determination in the ring. Other than getting in a gym to learn how to fight I know this will help my writing in my action scenes. Seeing as my WIP has a lot of action I know this will make my writing so much stronger.

Having played rugby though out college and sisters who skate Roller Derby, violent sports aren't something to be feared or disgusted by. Playing rugby was such a release and so much fun I can see why people get into these sports or become fans. Don't get me wrong I'm not a violent person but when put into a structured sport I get it. Give it a try before you turn your head in disgust. Personally I'd rather watch UFC/MMA (mixed martial arts) than boxing as I think it's the closest thing you'd see in a real life fight. When it comes to my writing I'd want it to be as real as possible and well, people don't just throw punches.

I seriously suggest trying to watch even one bout to help writing fight scenes. Even listening to some of the interview some of the fighters. Especially Rhonda Rousey the top female MMA fighter at age 26. You would be amazed at just how sweet some of these people are.

Anyways, I'm going to go focus one watching some fights. You'd be amazed just how fast some of these fights can go. These athletes amaze me.

No comments:

Post a Comment