Pages

Monday, May 6, 2013

RT Booklovers 2013 Part 1

For the last week I've been in Kansas City for my version of a vacation. That's right, Romance Times Booklovers Convention is my vacation, and I've loved every minute of it. Before the con even started I decided to attend the writers bootcamp (for the aspiring writer) and it was the best decision I made other than just attending the whole thing.

All the professionals that they had come in to teach us for the two days were amazing. They were funny, knowledgeable, sweet, encouraging with a side of ADD. I through in the ADD, because I'm finding that more times than not us authors are all distracted by shiny object and good ideas. If you are a beginner writer or even only a few years into your writing career, then go take a beginning writing bootcamp or class. In fact at any stage in your writing career I think people should keep taking writing classes to keep honing your craft.

Not only did I learn a lot from the teachers of the course, but I've met a wonderful group of pre-published authors. Someone had come up with this and I'm loving it. Instead of aspiring author, pre-published makes it feel like we are serious about our writing. That we are already making it our job by writing every day. We are in a different stages of our career with one major thing in common. We are all actively working, learning, and sending out our work to be able to hold that e-reader or paper copy of the work that we've spent years working on sharing with the rest of the world.

It is in this group of people that I've started what I call my writing family. These ladies are amazing. They are all smart, funny, love what they do, passionate about learning to write, supportive and are inspiring. We may have only known each other for a week or less, but I do believe that we have all made friendships that will last a lifetime.

I can't wait to see these women succeed in their writing and the different paths that we all end up taking. They have found a fan for life in me.

For those who haven't gone to a book conference or a writers conference. I greatly encourage it. Going to RWA last year and RT this year have been worth every cent I've spent. If not just for the workshops, the parties, the swag, the books, the opportunities to pitch in person to agents or editors, but for the networking and friendships that you will make.

In later posts I'll give you all updates on the rest of the conference and workshops that I was able to experience.  Till then enjoy the stories that authors put so much time and effort into, and go write, even if it's just one sentence.

2 comments:

  1. Well said, Emily! I've never been so psyched about my writing career and meeting other authors inspired me every bit as much as the workshops did. So glad we all met!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto. Meeting you guys, knowing we're not out there on our own, inspired me. I am a pre-published writer. Viva la Revolution!

    ReplyDelete