Pages

Saturday, July 6, 2013

Music

Music has become a major part of my writing. Some people need total silence when they create. I'm not one of them. I need my headphones and music playing in my ears.

I can write in public with people walking by chatting about anything and everything. I can sit in any room of my apartment to get pages done, but here's the big thing I need music playing. Usually in headphones. The only thing that I find that I can't do even with headphones is write in my living room/dining room turned library when roommates are up and about. Even with headphones I find it difficult to get pages done. Yes, even when I write in my room I put headphones on. Odd I know but somehow with headphones it helps me push the outside world away.

But how can you write in a crowded place with people walking about but not with roommates in your own place? Well...strangers don't talk to me....or usually they don't. Roommates who are some of my best friends and been house mates for years, we talk to each other. Our lives are busy so when our paths cross we can talk for hours. And since I like writing in our little library that means I'm in the perfect talk to me place. *palm face* If I knew better I'd avoid it, but hey I gotta catch up with friends one way or another. So to fix this on weekends I wake up early to get work done before they wake up. That way I can get the best of both worlds.

I digress...music....that's what I was talking about. I use everything from Pandora to itunes to iheartradio to youtube to find music that fits what I'm working on.

I don't stick to just one type of music that I can use at all times. Depending on if I'm writing, editing and scene is what defines what I listen to. One thing that I do have that is consistent is what while editing I tend to listen to music with little to no lyrics and usually leans towards dance/technopop. The way that I've come to understand why is that it sets up a consistent beat that I read to and the lyrics don't pull me out of my own words. I've tried oratorical music before but it doesn't feel right.

I even have "writers block music", but I will never confess to what I go to for those desperate moments of I want to write can't seem to get it on to the page. I may have an random taste of music but I will say this...I will deny to everyone and anyone what I listen to for a last resort. Yes, I'm pulling the, "If I told you, I'd have to kill you," moment.

As for writing for the last few months I've been on a Florence and the Machine, Elle Golding, Calvin Harris, and the soundtrack to Pitch Perfect kick. I've also found that remixes usually work as well.

Right now I'm currently taking a mini-break from Mackenzie Falls edits after getting too frustrated with it, and am working on a rewrite/edit of my unnamed Paranormal/Urban Fantasy. Here's what I've got on repeat as of right now just so you can get a small peak into my random musically taste.

-Breathe Me by Sia
-Too Close by Alex Clare
-Somebody to Love by Maroon 5
-Gorecki - Lamb
-Eyes by Kaskade featuring Mindy Gledhill
-Set Fire to the Rain - Adele
-Skyscraper by Demi Lovado
-Cups by Anna Kendrick
-Sweet Nothing Mix by Calvin Harris and Florence and the Machine
-Halcyon by Ellie Golding
-Seven Devils by Florence and the Machine
-Summertimes Sadness by Lana Del Rey
-Promises by Nero
-I remember by Deadmau5 & Kaskade

Well there you go. Some of my random musical mix that I've been writing too. I'm curious...what do you guys listen to when you write? Do you have go to music or radio station that you listen to when you create? Or do you put on a movie in the background and write away? Curious minds are dying to know.

Now that I have my random musical blog done, I shall now try to get this scene that is bugging me cleaned up. Progress, progress, progress, it must be done in order to keep from sitting still and dwelling on everything that isn't being done.

No comments:

Post a Comment