Pages

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Step 2: Following Through

So, you've done step one in doing what you want. You've set your goals. Let's just say that it's to be published, seeing as that is one of my goals in life.

Now what?

Well you actually have to follow through with all the work that it takes to get to that final goal. You can rarely go from A to Z without going through the rest of the alphabet first.

This is what I do. Break down all the steps it will take get to that final goal. In a way each step is a different goal with in itself. What? You're telling me is that I went from one bullet point on my to do list to like a hundred? Ugh your killing me here.

That is exactly what I'm telling you. Yet I'm also giving you a path you can take where you actually get to cross things off that dreaded to do list. Just so that you don't feel a lone in the length of your long list here is mine that I've come up with working on Mackenzie Falls.

1. Come up with a solid idea - Check Done
2. Come up with a background for my characters, so that I know why they are making the choices they do or will make, and what made the the way that they are - Check Done
3. Come up with a story arch that has the main character grow - Check Done
4. Start writing the actual story till I feel that I've got a good ending, while keeping up a list of new characters that I didn't know would pop up - Check Done
5. Editing. Editing. Editing. Oh wait more editing. (This is where the story really comes to life. It's here that you can clean up the story, the characters and the setting. The things you thought worked once really don't. This is the time that the story really comes to life.) - Not done. Still working on. No matter how frustrating it gets at times. Yes I do want so scream at the computer screen "Why can't you be finished yet!" Well, it's not done yet cause you're not done with it yet. Editing takes time and not over thinking things too much. Yes there is such thing as over editing.
6. Writing the summery to send out with queries to Lit Agents and Editors. What's this? I just finished writing 300 pages now you want me rewrite it in one page? Yup I do. - I've not quite gotten to this yet.
7. Researching Literary Agents that rep the genre you write. See what they require for submissions and make a query for each rep, making sure to include everything they request so that you don't get thrown out because of being lazy. - I'm currently in the process of doing this. I have to say it's fun to research the authors you enjoy to see what agents they work with, and what is out there.
8. Sending out your queries to the agents that fit with what you are looking for. - Not there yet, but getting closer every day.
9. The waiting game. This is where you are waiting to hear if you get represented. This isn't the time to twiddle your thumbs in boredom. This is where you can keep sending your work to more agents, while working on your next idea. Always, always, always, keep working on your next idea as soon as you finish the first. That way you have more stuff to get your name out there to sell once you do get representation. Waiting and getting rejections isn't the most fun, but it's a learning experience. Don't get down on yourself if people say no. Just find out ways to become a better writer.
10. You find an agent that want to rep you. - One day I will get this happy phone call. It's just a matter of putting in the hard work.
11. You get the phone call from your agent. They sold your book! You are getting published! Your big goal is now accomplished. Now it's time to do it all again. Though now that you have an agent you get to skip a few steps. Whoooo! - This is my big goal and it will happen. Time people. It just takes time and determination. I'm willing to put the work in to make this happen. If it takes then years. Then it takes ten years. If it happens over night? Well...I just might be a little skeptical of that to be honest.


See I have a long list to do too. Now don't get me wrong, I'm still learning about how to make myself a better writer, and about the publishing world. This just happens to be the steps that I'm taking. If you're in the publishing world, and know Im wrong, well please tell me. I want to learn from those that have the experience that I don't have.

Take the time to break down all the steps you need to take to reach your goals to make it easier to see that you are following through. It might be a long ways away till you get there, but if you follow through with each step one at a time, then you will get to your big goal. At times where you get discouraged take a moment to look at all the things you were able to cross of your list.

See all those crossed out? Your that much closer than you were before. Take a deep breath and keep taking those baby steps.

It's easier concurring the smaller goals than just a huge one. But all of the sudden you realize...I did it. I followed through on one of the biggest goals you've made.

Now go out and follow through on all your goals whatever they might be. Good luck and keep up the hard work. You're not alone in your journey to reaching your far off goals. I'm right there with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment