Pages

Saturday, February 23, 2013

Celebrations

This past weekend I was able to fly out to help celebrate my sister and her now future hubbie to be's engagement with friends and family in Utah. And let me tell you it was a crazy long weekend of stress and joy. But then again doesn't weddings usually combine the two?

I'm so happy for my sister and her fiance. She couldn't have chosen better if you asked me. He is a hard-worker and really loves my sister. Minus the fact that he has a crazy mother, he's pretty cool and he even gets along with my sisters. Now don't get me wrong about his mother. My family is fully of crazies and have more than our fair share of our own issues, and for the most part my sister's future mother to be is a nice lady. She just has to realize that my sister is not trying to take her son away and that she has been taking care of herself since she was a child and having someone treat her like a child is a foreign thing.

Like all good relationships it takes a lot of work to make it work out, and both my sister and future brother-in-law are willing to put in the time and effort it takes to make it work. It also helps that they do have people cheering them on the side lines willing to help with the crazy stressful wedding plans. Cause if you don't think putting a wedding together on a tight budget, then you are crazy.

Weddings are crazy stressful. Especially when one family has divorced parents that aren't on good terms. We will make this wedding work and be a good memory for my sister. NO MAJOR DRAMA ALLOWED!! Everyone's issues will be checked at the door and focus on the point of the day. My sister and brother-in-law tying the knot.

Like this past weekend, when my sister was concerned that no one would come to the party. We not only had a full house of over 30 people but from long time family friends we hadn't seen in years, to extended family that drove over 100 miles, to derby friends to close friends and family. Those who couldn't make it even called to talk to the fam to express there joy and sad that they weren't able to come to the party.

Not only that but we set up an awesome lunch and decorated a room that we weren't allowed to tape anything to the walls. And everyone expressed how great the place looked and how good the food was, even for those who had dietary issues, we had something for everyone.

We were even able to get the new additions to the family to help with creating decorations (so many puffy decorative balls out of tissue paper) and even decorated the mass quantities of cookies, so that we could all bond. And for the most part we all got along great. There were jokes, there was teasing, and overall some pretty good conversations.

To add to the three day crazy preparations for the party, I wasn't only sick, but we were able to pick out the bridesmaids dresses and get our hair done! Talk about a whirlwind of a weekend.

I wish I could have stayed up there longer to have a bit of a more relaxed visit with the siblings, but work called me back to the Bay Area. Another trip will needed for a good catch up visit with my sister. Though I have a feeling that until the wedding happens towards the end of the year, every visit will be busy with helping with making wedding decorations and doing anything possible to help destress the bride. And you know what? I'm totally okay with that. This being the first sister in my family to get married, we are all trying to figure out what needs to be done and how we can do it with out spending an arm and a leg.

DIY crafts you will be done! And it will look fantastic. That is if I don't end up bleeding all over them. I tend to be klutzy when it comes to doing crafts as I've learned this weekend. I just happened to take a chunk out of my knuckle with scissors while making the puff balls and stabbed myself with ice while using an ice pick to try to break up a big block (don't worry it was only the ice that stabbed my hand. Not actual stitches were needed. Only a little bandaide and told I'm no longer allowed to touch sharp objects.) FYI all the wounds were totally worth it in the end. Cause the party looked great!

Can't wait for the day to be a bridesmaid for the first time and see my sister in her big day as she officially starts a family with Michael. I will with no doubt be crying like a baby with tears of joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment