Pages

Saturday, March 2, 2013

Dietary Changes

Stomach issues have always run in my family. With two sisters with Chrones and extended family with IBS, it's comes to no surprise that I my self am dealing with stomach issues.

It sucks I know. Know the worst part of it? My doctor doesn't know what is causing it. Since nothing seems consistant and my symptoms are not matching that of Chrones we are doing a lot of trial and errors to figure out what is causing me issues.

What issues do you ask? Well, have you ever been so bloated from food that you feel like someone is trying to rip your spine out through your chest? No? Well I do. It seems no matter what I eat that I am always bloated and at times get in so much pain that I debate on going to the ER, even though I know that in 3-5 hours it will go away. For those that get abdominal pains at times you know of the wonders of a heating pad. That's my automatic go to. Which doesn't help. So, I try some yoga poses and whatnot, but have yet to find anything to reduce the pain till it just goes away naturally.

It's probably dietary right? So, stop eating out and eating junk food, silly and it will all go back to normal! Well, here's the thing. I don't eat all that much junk food. Don't get me wrong, no one is perfect and I for one like many other women out there love there chocolate and ice cream. Not to mention on the days on the long drive home from the day job that the last thing I want to do when I get home is to cook. Thus meaning I do what other Americans do. I stop at the fast food place on the way home.

But you just said that you don't eat junk food! I know what I said, but when it comes to fast food there are levels of healthy food that is out there. Yes, I realize what I just said. But there are a few places that I do avoid.... burger joints, and all things fried. That means I will hit up a Chipotle (buritto bowls are awesome. Rice, meat, no dairy products, lettuce, and salsa) and a Hawaiian place (grilled chicken, rice and pasta salad, though I should avoid the pasta salad), along with a sandwich shop are usually the go tos. Oh, and can't forget the salads that Safeway has. Those are all more healthy than many of the alternatives that are out there. I also avoid soda as much as I can. I might have one a week.

There are some habits that I definately need to add to my week. And the big one is working out. Let it going for a run or a walk around the block, I find that I've been putting my career ahead of my health. With working a desk job a hour away from my apt and once home I start working on my writing or reading for Novelous Ladies blog, I'm almost always at a desk or couch. YIKES! I know this needs to change not just for my physical health but for my mental as well, yet I find it one of the harder things to change.

With my doctors keeping an eye on my health, we are working on cutting possible foods that are causing my pains and bloating. That means no diary (already do for the most part), no gluten (that is mostly found in wheat, I've also been tested for allergies for this and it came back negative), also we are narrowing down foods that are naturally gassy (doing this about one at a time....I suggest googling a list of foods, trust me it will surprise you), also this means no beer (this one isn't always so hard, but with roommates and being young the places to hangout are mostly bars).

Along with cutting foods out, I'm also going to start keeping a food diary. That means I'm writing down everything that I eat and if any reactions occur from eating them.

Basically I'm conducting a giant experiment with my body to see what is causing me so much paid. The worst part? The fact the big flair-ups of pain aren't consistent. I eat something once and I'm fine. I try the same thing again and four hours latter I'm curled up in a ball of pain. The worst of it only usually happens maybe once or twice a month, every few months. Yea, I don't get it either. My body is weird.

I sympathize with all those that have dietary issues. I know mine are rather small compared to others, like my sisters, but damn does this suck. Looking on the bright side of things though...with having to keep such a close eye on what I'm eating means as well as forcing myself to make the time to be healthy and work out, means that I'm most likely going to lose a few pounds. Either way as long as I don't end up being in paid for long periods of time,  I will be a happy camper.

I'll keep you all updated with how my experiment goes and if I find some tasty healthy food recipies I'll let you all know.

Here is a lesson that you guys can learn from me: bloating is not fun and can be caused by some really random foods and that it is important to stay healthy and make sure to keep going to your doctor to get checked out. Being in pain is NOT normal!

No comments:

Post a Comment