Pages

Monday, October 21, 2013

Emerald City....Not Just in OZ

This past weekend I went for the first time to the Emerald City Writers Conference in Bellevue Washington. That's just outside of Seattle just incase you didn't know. And I just have to say thank you so much to the Greater Seattle Romance Writers of America for putting the regional conference on.

For the first time going to the smaller conference I would definitely recommend going to this one. It is well organized, filled with great workshops, great people, amazing speakers and even better attendees. One of the many things that attracted me to this regional conference other than in need of a vacation and desire to be around like minded people, was that I love the Pacific Northwest (and need to explore more), the workshops/master class by Cherry Adair (I can't say enough wonderful things about this woman and her writing), that they offered a critique speed dating workshop, the keynote speakers (Karen Rose, Robyn Carr, and Maya Banks), and how excited they are to have new people come to the conference.

Everyone in romance is welcoming, but I've never had a conference take such good care of the newbies. They have a team called them Gems. If you ask them, they will match you with a veteran conference going to help guide you along the way. They even make sure that the first dinner that you have assigned seating with them so that you know at least one person at the conference. And my gem is actually that a gem. I'm glad to call her a new friend and excited to cheer her on her own career in writing.

The whole long weekend that I was there was easy going and was relaxing that was full of so much knowledge that everywhere you turned you could talk to anyone and learn something new.

Oh, did I mention that they even brought Firemen for a coffee breakfast one morning? Of course we were all swooning over then men who were sweet to take pictures with us. I'll have to post a picture later.

I've made friends, connections, hopefully gained a few critique partners, added to my to be read bookshelf, new amazing memories, and inspiration to keep writing.

If you've ever feared going to a conference this is one conference that I would recommend you attend. You will not regret it. Everyone is great and you will not regret it. Plus Cherry Adair does the Finish the Damn Book Contest. If there is one person that truly cares for everyone to continue writing a move forward in their career that is Cherry. She really does want everyone to succeed and it's so touching.

And personally I'm going to join in the challenge of finish the damn book. Cause if you can't do it for yourself then you might as well do it for Cherry...or you might maker her cry, and well you don't dare make that wonderful woman cry....so finish that damn book!

I'm going to do my damnedest to go back to the ECWC next year to see some new friends and enjoy more wonders with some great writers.

No comments:

Post a Comment