Pages

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Hidden Summit by Robyn Carr

In July 2012 I attended my first writers conference at the yearly national conference for the Romance Writers of America and was able to listen to the keynote speech that was given by Robyn Carr one of the days. And let me tell you I'm still learning to expand my knowledge of the Romance genre, as both a writer and as a reader, the speech that Robyn gave will always be one that I remember. She was both inspiring and honest about her career into publishing as a writer. The best part of her talk was that it can be applied to everything in life. Here's what I took away from it most is this, you only fail as being a writer is by giving up. If you keep writing, keep putting yourself out there, you are doing exactly what you have wanted. It took her ten years or more of consistent writing to become a 'over night' success even after having several other books published. Write without hesitation or fear. That is when your will flourish.

Coming out of that conference met some amazing writers I've decided that I am in the right genre with these such passionate people.

Finally I found the time to read Robyn Carr's 17th book in her Virgin River series, Hidden Summit. Connor Danson and Leslie Petruso had both been burned by there first loves and looking for a new start as they both deal with life changing problems. Connor being the only witness to a murder, his life is a waiting game till he can testify and able to keep his sister and nephews safe while they figure out how to start over after losing the family business to a fire as a warning to them. Leslie, while wanting to get over her failed marriage as her ex wanted to keep her close, even after having started a new family while they were still married. As the their paths cross in there times of rediscovery, they learn that they can forgive those who had hurt them and what falling in love really could feel like.

Robyn Carr's small town feel was both warming and comedic as everyone knows what everyone else business is, they are always there to lend a helping hand without being prompted or wanting any thanks. These are all things that why can be annoying at times are the exact things that are what the main characters Connor and Leslie are needing, along with each others company to help work through there own issues.

With this being my first Robyn Carr novel, I'm hooked. Like when I had found Julie Garwood's novels, I find myself wanting to dive into her series when needing a good read in with the right amount of drama in a small town that doesn't have any cowboys, but the right amount of men who happen to have a military background. Scruffy, sinsear, snark and a heart of gold. What's not to love.

Make sure to go and check out Robyn Carr's web site www. robyncarr.com and her other two series Thunder Point and Grace Valley. I may be late getting into Carr's novels but that doesn't mean that you have to as well. There are more than enough to satisfy your itch for a good small town novel without leaving you unsatisfied for big time drama and romance.

No comments:

Post a Comment