Pages

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Diary of an Urban Panther by Amanda Arista

Today I finally finished The Diary of the Urban Panther the first book in the Violet Jordan series by Amanda Arista, a Paranormal Romance with Avon Impulse.

The shy Violet Jordan is used to living in a fairy tale, having grown up from on their stories even as an adult being a writer for a film production company specializing in horror films. Never did she think that the stories her mother had told her as a child would end up being what would help her deal with being attacked by a panther shifter and stop her sire from bring a demon in to the human realm and destroying the world. With the help of her best friend who turns out to be a fairy princess, Chaz a guardian, and Iris a lion shifter, Violet for the first time is able to discover who she really is. And that she can take on any challenge set in front of her without running away to start a new life.

While I was at the RWA national conference in Anaheim this year, I was able to get these set of books and signed by the sweet Amanda Arista. I'd never read any of her books, but as I was walking through the crowd the covers caught my eye. A cat lover and never one to pass up a good paranormal romance, I walked up to her not quite knowing what to say, said the first things that came to mind, "Hi, I'd love to hear about your books. What are they about?" Nothing overwhelming, but like Arista's character Violet I'm a little shy.

My nerves were quickly put to rest as Amanda quickly chatted about her books and she not only offered to sign her newest book, the third in the series, but the first to as well. Newly informed on which to read first, I was not able to enjoy the story of Violet the Urban Panther.

Overall it's a great story and I've really enjoyed it. I loved the way she was able to weave the paranormal world into the real world, which can be harder to do than one might think. The connection between Violet and Chaz is snarky and to a man who may be model beautiful and shy about it is refreshing. Their relationship is full of sparks, and sass and drama. Which alone would be a fun read, but with the added drama of learning how to embrace her new inner cat, Violet learning more about her best friend Jessa, you are able to connect with the characters.

My grievances has nothing to do with the story, there were a few typos that caught my eye. Nothing to make me want to stop reading, but enough to notice it once every hundred pages. This could also be because I've been editing my own work and more open to seeing little mistakes, like whole instead of hole. Or the indentation of one paragraph being one tab space too far over. It's these little things that were my only thing that bugged me.

With the next two books in the series waiting for me to read on my book shelf, I can't wait to see Chaz and Violet's relationship evolve and what drama will ensue all with a cup of coffee close at hand.

Make sure to check out Amanda Arista's website at http://www.amandaarista.com/ and on twitter @pantherista

I know I can't wait to see what else Amanda will come out with, and hope everyone else will check out her work as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment