Pages

Sunday, September 1, 2013

Retreat From The Big City

Next week one of my older sisters is getting married to her college sweet heart. With her living in another state it's always hard to be able to spend a lot of time together, but with the big day right around the corner I get to spend the week with my sister, mom, and her side of the family. It's always refreshing to come up and visit them in Utah. I know what you're thinking, but it's Utah...in the summer. Well guess what I get to let my country side out while I'm here. And it's so much fun to see all the extended family as we gather at our Grandmothers house.

It's amazing just how much you need a break from the big city and go out the a small town with a house full of kids running around, doing manual labor, picking/eating veggies fresh from the field, riding around on a four wheeler with my cousins kid hanging on the back screaming faster and watching Grandma (who's practically blind) teach/do make homemade pickles and relish with one of my cousins wives.

A cousin had mentioned just how much of a culture shock it must be to go from living in San Francisco to visiting the family farm in Utah. But here's the thing....it feels natural to me. My family has always had roots out here, having raised cows and having a large garden on there land. I have country in my roots and while my small section of the family has been more apart of the "big city life out in California" I love being around the wide open spaces (which is starting to get more and more homes and less and less farms), but in the end there is nothing like having organic beef you raised and a home cooked meal with family crammed around the table with kids running around. One thing that they don't know is that my dream house is a country house with a the big city not too far off for when you need a good dose of city and country.

Me and Norman the Calf wanting Milk and scratches
Oh my gosh I almost forgot to tell you guys about Norman the Calf. He is a orphaned calf from our herd, so my cousins took him in an has hand fed him for the past few months and it wasn't until now that he's being whinnied off milk. Yes, he was named after the movie City Slickers and has become a large dog. He loves head scratches and comes when you call his name. Yes, he moos back when you talk to him. Basically he is not going anywhere. He's kind of adorable.

Anyways, it's going to be a week full of  good chaos of helping my sister get the final plans done and ready for her big day next Saturday, and I can't wait. Even with the stress that goes with planning a wedding (the first in my immediate family), being around family that you don't see very often is great.

So, this week is my retreat to the smaller towns, ok really they aren't that small (only when compared to where I live) and letting my country roots show as I drive around in our old family farm truck that I remember being driven around by my Grandpa when I could barely see out the window.

Writing will have to take a second, no third seat, this week, but it's well worth it to spend time with my sister and mom, who I only get to see maybe once or twice a year. Sorry writing. I love you more than you know, but you gotta wait till I can find a few moment for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment