Pages

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Rebellious Desire by Julie Garwood

Lately I've been on a kick of audio books since I have an hour drive one way to work. This last week I've listened to Rebellious Desire by Julie Garwood's second book of her already twenty plus books she has had published in her career.

I'll admit I've already read pretty dang close to all of her books in her contemporary series as well as one of her westerns. Needless to say after reading nine or so of her books, I'm a fan. Rebellious Desire was the first Regency novel I've taken on as well as my first audiobook.

Here's my negative take on the whole thing that really has nothing to do with the story but my taste in the reading (it was an English woman reading)which I know is biased. I love accents and with the story taking place in England is fitting and was fun to listen to. What can I say I have a thing for accents? Yet, when there was no infliction of tone to direct the listeners attention that it is the male lead talking instead of the female I had to really listen to what the character was saying in order to determine just who exactly was talking. Also, thank goodness for action lines or else I might have been lost more times than not.

Other than those few times when the female reader didn't lower her vocal register to differentiate between the characters, I loved the story of Caroline and The Duke of Bradford.

Born in England to an Earl Caroline was sent to go live with her Aunt and Uncle until 14 years later as an adult she was summoned to come home. Having grown up in Boston, Caroline isn't your typical Lady making her debut to society in London. Yet, she had gain the attention and desires of the Duke of Bradford, one of London's most eligible bachelors. Tall, handsome, cocky, with a temper that matched his passions Jered Marcus Benton had met his match. Both drawn to each other like a moth to a flame, they both struggle with how to deal with the others emotions and desires and realizing that their love is deep enough if they learn to accept the other for who they really are and not just what the London society sees.

Excitment, danger, love, attraction and regency era London society rules. What isn't there to love as Julie Garwood brings you into a time that not everyone can write so seamlessly without being overly cheesy or bore you with overly dramatic descriptions of the time. Caroline and her Jered's story, along with the love story of her cousin that helps drive Caroline and Jered to trust each other in a way they have never had before, is one that I will make sure to enjoy in paperback or ereader.

Make sure to check out Julie Garwood's other works that she has out as well as her website at www.juliegarwood.com

No comments:

Post a Comment